Monday, November 8, 2010

There Are Fruits and Veggies...and Then There Are Fruits and Veggies!

The Farmers' Market now has a brand new meaning to me. I have so much respect and admiration for the hardworking families, that take the time and energy to grow fresh fruits and vegetables for others to enjoy. The career of a farmer is so much harder than I ever realized and after our class trip to the Farmers' Market, I now have compassion for them.
A group of three of us moved along the four different stands that were selling on that Tuesday morning, and we were able to converse with a couple of the sellers. I personally took the time to stand back and watch the sellers lay out their food and talk to their buyers with friendly smiles and a positive attitude. I have to say that the atmosphere of the market was one of my favorite aspects to the trip. The Farmers Market felt nothing like a trip to the grocery store; there was fresh air, sun shining down on the food, making the colors pop, and the food itself looked so much more appetizing. The tomatoes were huge, and the sweet potatoes and turnips still had the majority of their dirt stuck to the skin and it still felt better than grabbing a cucumber that had been sprayed with wax at a grocery store.
Not only was I enjoying my time that I was spending at the market, but as I watched the buyers, I found a little girl and her mom and realized that there was learning that was taking place right in front of my eyes. It made me fill up with happiness, because as we have been discussing in class, too many kids can't even tell you where a carrot comes from. The mom of this little girl asked what kind of fruit she wanted for lunch, and the little girl grabbed this huge cauliflower that filled her arms. Her mom looked at her and laughed, took back the head of cauliflower and told the little girl that that was a veggie and pointed out the fruits she could pick from. The little girl probably doesn't even remember this happening, if you asked her today, but I can say that she will probably remember that cauliflower is a vegetable, and with the knowledge that her mom is exposing her to, the girl will be able to make smarter and healthier decisions in her future.
I just could not get over the vivid colors of all the fruits and vegetables. I walked up to a stand and took a  picture of my friends, who made up my group, as they looked at all the appetizing veggies. Then something caught my eye. I looked down, and these mini multi-colored peppers were screaming for attention. Zooming in, I took a picture of these stunning peppers, and I told one of the farmers behind the stand how beautiful I thought they were! She was actually picking leaves off a batch of these peppers, as she told me how she mixed them with red roses last week for Sweetest Day. This honestly blew my mind! I would have never thought to mix such a lively and fiesta-like vegetable, such as a mini pepper, with the flower of romance. At the same time, I could imagine how stunning the bouquet must have been; I wished I could receive such a unique gift as that.


My experience at the Farmers Market was nothing but a blast. I learned so much from the farmers and producers that were selling on that beautiful Tuesday morning. I plan to bring my family to the Farmers Market when they come to visit me, so we can share a fun experience together!

No comments:

Post a Comment