Monday, November 1, 2010

When the First is Forgotten

There are some things in life that I truly feel are taken advantage of. The sheer beauty of nature and what humans have created with their hands, happen to be two of these "things" that just a handful of people still appreciate. On Wednesday October 20, 2010 I took a trip to East Campus with another class that I am enrolled in. This was an eye opening experience, because I knew our university was established in 1903, but, I had never questioned where all of our old original buildings were.
One of the first buildings that I came across on my way to the main campus is a tiny little building that is labeled with a sign that says "The Little Auditorium". It is probably one of the cutest buildings I have seen on campus, and it began my awareness of how WMU has grown to the university we now love. We entered the main East Campus from back, this gave my class and I the chance to look at the infirmary building. The school had a working medical staff and students were able to spend the night in a hospital-like setting right on campus. Our guide also pointed out the women's and men's dorms before we made our way into the main building. She led us through the old hallways, where paint was peeling and old classroom doors were locked; the teachers assistant for my class and I, looked inside all the rooms as we passed, and I could only imagine what classes were held there; the history that the small broken rooms held was almost overwhelming.
We reached our destination when we sat down in the 70's inspired, round back, plastic chairs in the original gymnasium, that, the East Campus now uses as the site for all archives. Our guide began passing around articles and pictures, one of which was an all girls physical education class that was held in the very gym we were in!! Half hour later, we trickled back through the halls and outside to view the front of the main building. It was stunning, with pillars at least 30 feet tall and a grand staircase leading up to the doors; my eyes must have been bugging out of my head! I had so much respect for the men that built our first part of our campus over 100 years ago.
As we got closer to the front entrance, my admiration turned to disgust as I began seeing all the graffiti that students of WMU have done on these pillars and windows of our main building. I looked at a drawing that stood out because of the shocking red color it was drawn in and, realized from the marked date, that, it had been drawn just 2 days previous. The guide then drew our attention in to show us that our first president of the school had actually been placed in the building, and a plaque to the left of the entrance, signified his presence there. That too, had graffiti all over it and my stomach dropped at the thought of destroying another's grave like that. When a few other students and I asked why the building is under such distress, the guide explained that there isn't enough money for upkeep for East Campus, so, the buildings are just withering away until there is nothing left. This made me want to cry; how can a whole university not care for what our university began from? If not for the buildings, I would think that students, professors, alumni and the community would want to preserve East Campus for the beautiful views it has to offer. From those main steps, I was able to look out over the whole area; trees cover the hill that the campus is built on top of, and on this october day, I saw a sight that I can't explain, you would have to experience the scene for yourself...too beautiful for words. As I looked out onto the breathtaking view, I turned around and realized that almost all of my classmates were more interested in reading the graffiti.
Since my trip to East Campus, I have joined the group, Students for East Campus, and I am going to try and play an active roll in the preservation of East Campus. Tell all you know about this sad and upsetting situation and if you ever get the chance, make your way over to the first part of our university, and really experience the beauty of the grand buildings and exquisite views of Kalamazoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment